Anne Elliot

by Mark Brownlow · 12 comments

in Jane Austen,Literature

Time for some Jane Austen. Can I “persuade” you to take a gentle peek into Anne Elliot’s email account.

Anne Elliot's email inbox

More from the Austen pantheon: Mr. Darcy, Catherine Morland, Elizabeth Bennet, Elinor Dashwood.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Bethanie August 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm

“Of course I mean his jaw…” LOL!!

jen August 18, 2011 at 5:41 pm

LOVE the starred e-mail. Nice touch!

Mark August 18, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Thanks Jen: it’s great when people pick up on the little touches!

Tularam Ghalley August 18, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Love doesnt meant to be have a sex, bt we need only a feeling.

Kate Warren August 19, 2011 at 3:28 am

Lovely touches throughout. I think my favorites are Mary’s first three emails in rapid succession and the thank you from Admiral Croft for the carraige driving DVD. Oh and the Amazon recommendation! Very good!

Stephanie August 19, 2011 at 3:31 am

My personal favorite is the adoption agency email and Mary’s second email about Charles saying she would be out!

Diane August 19, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Highly amusing!! Well done, indeed.

I could never be clever enough to make up something like this myself, so I hate to find fault, but aren’t the two from Mary Musgrove about little Charles and the party out of order? Seems like they should be right above her other three. Or maybe you aren’t referring to the specific incident, just portraying Mary’s typical motherly behavior. =)

Mark August 20, 2011 at 9:38 am

Hi Diane!

As you surmise, it wasn’t intended to refer to the specific incident in the book but to her general attitude. Some of the literary inboxes (especially the Shakespeare ones) do try and “tell the story”, but this one is more general.

Henrien February 2, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Oh gosh! Can Henrietta & Louisa please send me pics of CW in uniform? Must see! Persuasion is my Austen fave and I salute you, Sir, for you knowledge in Austen works. Most guys wouldn’t care. And, much as I would like to deny it, I applaud you for reflecting how the novel has nothing going on between Anne & CW till the last chapter.

G December 9, 2012 at 2:56 am

One you oughta include, forwarded from Sir Walter, of the Gowlands e-newsletter, some pithy subject line like “check out the article on freckles on page 3″ or similar!

Susan Berry July 4, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Love the Amazon email and the multiple !s. All of the emails in the boxes do show how life tends to be a circle — what is a fad one time eventually cycles back around to be in fashion yet again.

Mich Castillo July 28, 2013 at 11:02 am

Just finished re-reading Persuasion for the nth time, and I think this is so brilliant! Had so much fun looking at the list. I wish there’s also the content. I simply love the emails from Miss Musgroves, and Captain Wentworth himself. And oh, that starred mail! ^_^